[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
UtahSportsmen.com • View topic - Rod Storage

Rod Storage

General Fishing Discussion, Questions about Fishing, Gear, Baits, Tips, Techniques

Rod Storage

by k2muskie » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:43 pm

With us using rods for casting and trolling ranging in size from 7' to 9' and not necessarly all 2 piece rods needed to research for a rod/reel storage holder. Our trolling reels are larger bait casters with line counters and casting they are larger but the low profile bait casters. So needed something allowing ample storage for the variety of rods and reels we use. We have another storage holder but the plastic clips didn't work for our larger diameter rods. Including rods won't fit in the house with the ceiling clearance in the basement. I don't like taking the 2 piece rods apart and/or leaning rods against the wall has a tendency to bow the rod when left in storage for an extended time. Including the dreaded fear of them getting knocked over and/or being stepped on and damaged. :cry:

Low-n-beholden found this on Cabelas after some digging and after reading about a similar one on Cabelas made of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) consumer reviews weren't favorable wrt the MDF and the boards tendency of splitting.

This one I purchased had no consumer reviews made me leary including a tad bit pricer. So made the plunge and said what the heck can always send it back or drive down to Lehi and return. WOW well worth that extra dollar plunge and we're very pleased with it. Sturdy locking casters heavy duty polyethylene construction. ;) Directions to assemble could've been better but being retired AF Jet Engine Technicians nothing but a thing for us.

Here's the link so you can take a lookee see...

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_c ... Ik-12-5134

Have ours setup in the garage. Now I have piece of mind for our rods and reels when stored. Not a great photo as I took it with the cell phone but you'll get the idea. Won't rust, rot or having to worry about split boards or clips that bust off. Fits nice and secure against the back of the garage wall looking like a fine piece of furniture...

Big Game Rod Reel Storage-1.jpg
Big Game Rod Reel Storage-1.jpg (118.25 KiB) Viewed 4153 times

So if you have a concerns on storing your rod/reel combos may want to take a peak...yes pricey but so are quality rods and reels as I see it.

;) ;)
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

Re: Rod Storage

by DallanC » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:56 pm

1) You have really nice poles.

2) That rod holder is nice. I have a smaller one that goes on the wall but I think I'll build something like this, maybe with 1 more tier in the front for the tiny ice fishing rods.

Do you have anything to hold your rods in the boat? We generally take extra poles for quick gear changes or something breaks, always just toss them up in the bow out of the way but I've been looking for something to organize a bit better.

-DallanC
DallanC

by k2muskie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:53 am

I like the idea of an ice rod holder. We have lockable storage compartments in the boat both hold 6 rods but longest rod we can store is 7'. For our casting rods that are 8'6" and 9' we have to store along the inside of the boat down the sides. We have 4 trolling rods that are stored in the storage areas and 4 casting rods that won't fit in rod storage area but fit nicely down the sides on the inside of the boat. We take a total of 8 rods with us 4 used to troll and 4 for casting in case a casting rod/reel breaks. However haven't had that issue. Couple times some nasty birds nests on the reels but always get that taken care of. I hate that when that happens as I forget to adjust the magnetic drag on the bait caster when changing to a lighter weight lure when casting.
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

by dubob » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:31 am

[/color]
dubob

Return to Fishing Questions, Gear, Tips & Tricks and General Discussion