[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
UtahSportsmen.com • View topic - Trick for Attaching Tippet

Trick for Attaching Tippet

Fly fishing specific discussions

Trick for Attaching Tippet

by DallanC » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:08 pm

A long time ago a grizzled old friend of my dad taught me a trick to attach a tippet to fly line, without knots.

Trim the fly line above where the old tippet attached. Take a needle an heat it with a candle. Once red hot, Insert it into the center of the end of the fly line, this will melt the inner core, and expand the outer core slightly. It might take a couple times to open it up enough for the tippet. I like it to insert at least 3/8 to 1/2" into the tippet.

Once you can insert the butt end of the tippet far enough into the line, remove and put a drop of super glue on it, then insert into the fly line and let it dry. I've yet to ever have a line seperate after doing this. There are no knots to snag on anything! Works slick.

-DallanC
DallanC

Re: Trick for Attaching Tippet

by dubob » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:00 am

[/color]
dubob

by Renegade » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi all. I am new here and do not want to come off as a know it all, but one attaches a leader to the fly line and "tippet" to the leader.
There is a tool that makes this a breeze:
http://www.tiemco.co.jp/english/product ... g/sls.html
You put the fly line in the little plastic case and it makes it effortless to insert the needle in it. However, some lines like sinking have an inner core that is
going to prevent you from doing this.
In the pictures, they are securing the leader with a nail not, but, I have done this on many lines, after you have insertet the leader, and are pulling it through,
scuff up the last inch of the leader with sandpaper. Add a dot of Zap-A-Gap (water proof super glue - note, not all super glue is whater proof) and pull the leader
as far as you can. The Super Glue will stop the leader from going all the way through. Clip the tag and I add a dab of super glue over the hole.
This is very strong. I have broke the line before this connection broke. Another tip, after doing this, cut about 6" off the leader and attach a foot of tippet using a blood knot or a Surgeon knot. When that foot of tippet is used up, add more. This will make the leader last a season and keep a nice taper.
Renegade
Lurker
Lurker

by DallanC » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:52 pm

DallanC

by Renegade » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Sorry, I did a lot of searching and it doesn't appear to be in the US anymore. I bought one from Feather-Craft several years ago.
I guess Umpqua imported it. To bad. Easy as heck to use. Even splice cit fly line.
Renegade
Lurker
Lurker

by dubob » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:27 am

[/color]
dubob

by Renegade » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:05 am

Right on, thanks. Now with that recovered, may I also add, I don't use conventional leaders anymore. I find them stiff and retain memory. My set-up consists of, a loop in the fly line itself, either manufactured or self made (with a hair iron, fly tying thread, whip finisher, and Zap-A-Gap). I use self made furled leaders. They will last several seasons, they have not memory and it is possible to cast just the leader. On the thread leaders, addd floatant and they will float several hours, want to nymph or streamer, hold the leader underwater and let it absorb. Makes a perfect sink tip. This is not to be mistaken for Braided ot Twisted leaders. Big difference.
Renegade
Lurker
Lurker

by dubob » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:04 pm

[/color]
dubob

by Renegade » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:29 pm

Renegade
Lurker
Lurker

by keshymarkyz » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:26 am

This was not just rigged :poke: with tat tippet because that tricks are not that old buddy you can use it cheers :D

----------------

keshymarkyz

Return to Fly Fishing