Dove report

Questions & Discussion related to Small Game Hunting

Dove report

by DallanC » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:17 am

Well we packed up and headed for the desert to our old spot. Its not a great spot by any means, but we usually have the entire place to ourselves which is nice. My boy had just come down with a really bad cold, so we paid extra to get into a doctor Sunday afternoon on our way out of town. Doctor agreed it was pretty bad and prescribed some meds which we picked up on the way. Drive out was uneventful, the gravel roads were in fantastic shape compared to years past... and Sunflowers, HOLY COW MILLIONS OF SUNFLOWERS!!! I just thought if the previous storms hadn't driven the doves to Mexico we'd find some here to shoot at.

We were just setting up camp when a CRAZY Storm blew through. I thought last years lightning storm was crazy, this was way worse in terms of water! Seriously, I've seen few storms in my life that dropped that much rain that quickly, its the freaking desert and it got about 1" of rain in about 20 minutes that sheeted off causing crazy flooding. The torrential rain that caused a flash flood that went right through our tents, we had to sleep in the truck (3 people + all the gear that couldn't get wet) MISERABLE!. I got pictures out my window of a RIVER flowing across the meadow under my truck. Even the **** camp cots were covered in mud. Farther down in the flats, a new lake had formed... a quite large lake, that wasn't there the day before.

Next morning it started off slow then picked up with singles, doubles, triples then it picked up with flocks of +20 doves coming through. I shot terrible, I'll admit but I got a limit in a reasonable amount of time then spent the rest of the time helping my wife and boy try to fill theirs. I think they shot 3 boxes between them with pumps, so it wasn't for a lack of chances at 'em. Doves liked to make a pass then go set down in the sage. I found much better success sneaking over and jump shooting them.

My 12 year old:

Saw lots of wild horses, heard the BLM had a problem with them, now I know why. Saw 60+ in one herd, only saw 1 antelope which was odd. Cant say it was the funnest trip ever, I have tents and gear to clean today. But we saw more doves than last year by a HUGE factor.

Had a great dove fry last night, one of my favorite meals of the year.

-DallanC
DallanC

Re: Dove report

by Dunkem » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:07 pm

8-) Glad you got into some,Thats crazy about the flash flood! I still havent been able to get out ,hoping for thursday.Your boy looks happy :D
Dunkem
Dunkem

by Dunkem » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Ran out by Stockton for 3 hours,only managed to scare up 2 doves(was raining).Man the dirt roads were slick thank goodness for 4 wheel drive or I would still be there.Rush lake is completly dry,and settlement canyon is only about a third full.Seems like there is a lot more posted ground out there this year :wtf: Got most of next week off so will make a better effort.
Dunkem
Dunkem

by DallanC » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:23 pm

You better hurry, cold weather is coming and they are migrating out.

-DallanC
DallanC

Return to Small and Upland Game