[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
UtahSportsmen.com • View topic - Starvation Res 3/2

Starvation Res 3/2

River and Lake Fishing reports from around the state

Starvation Res 3/2

by DallanC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:45 pm

My work finally gave us 1 saturday "off" from our mass overtime push. We have been on a mandatory 6 day a week overtime crunch for 2 months, and it looks like we have 4 months ahead of us. With that in mind I for dang sure wanted to spend my day off outdoors!

With a recent report of massive perch slaying going on at Starvation, thats where we went. Arrived at 8am, I found half of Utah saw the same recent report and showed up to the same spot. I drilled some holes in "the spot" and rigged up the poles for our family. I dropped a camera down expecting to see schools of fish. NADA!!! Nothing. Fish finder was silent as well. Looking around, NO-ONE was having any luck. I talked to some BFT guys next to me and we all set off to try other places.

We moved off out to a shallow island and drilled a test hole. Fish finder showed 30 ft. I left my boy watching it and moved 50 yards closer to the island and drilled another hole. My boy ran over with the sonar and we saw 2 fish right off in 20ft of water ... Bingo! I drilled 7 or so more holes around this test hold, both closer and laterally around it. We got the rods back in the water and after a very short time homebrew my PCV "autohooker" went off and it was fish on! I knew right off it wasnt a perch, they dont fight like this one did stripping line like crazy. After a few minute fight a FAT bruiser rainbow emerged from the hole. Not the perch we were targeting but a great catch.

I reset and a few minutes later it went off again, and again another fat bow hit the ice. It continued on, like this fairly steadily. We lost some absolute MONSTER bows that broke off when they got within sight of the hole. We ice'd 7, the largest two right at the 20" mark.

Ironically... not one single perch to be found. Talked to a bunch of other people, and besides us, only the two BFT guys had caught a fish (they had 5 between the two of them). No-one else had any luck. Stopped off at the gas station back on the main highway and the girl working there asked if we'd been fishing and how it was, she had heard it has been terrible. I told her we got 7 really nice ones and she was surprised.

All in all a beautiful day and some tasty fish for dinner. I'll dig up some pictures and post'em tomorrow :)

-DallanC
DallanC

Re: Starvation Res 3/2

by Dunkem » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:19 am

Well deserved day off,glad you got some big bows :mrgreen:
Dunkem
Dunkem

by DallanC » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Happy kid, biggest fish of the day at 20"

starv1.JPG
starv1.JPG (80.67 KiB) Viewed 5460 times

My homebrew auto-hooker. I modified existing pvp pole holders to have the spring loaded functionality. Seemed to work great as a prototype. I need to play with some design changes over the summer though

starv3.jpg

The two biggest covering a cookie sheet.
starv2.JPG
starv2.JPG (72.66 KiB) Viewed 5460 times

-DallanC
DallanC

by k2muskie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Sorry for the lateness of my reply and glad you finally got some time off to have fun with family. Them is some very nice looking Rainbows...I love the homemade version of the Jacker. Wanted to try Starvation this season but Mama Nature didn't allow for it. Next year for sure...provided it freezes like it did this year. Even though you didn't get any Perch I bet you and your family enjoyed the Trout....do you smoke the Trout?
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

by DallanC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 pm

If we end up with alot of fish we do smoke them, at least when its warm enough to smoke them outside. Because I've been unable to get out fishing this year, we froze a couple for occasional dinners to last until my overtime ends and I can get out fishing more frequently.

The fish we LOVE to smoke and eat the most is Kokanee from Strawberry. We've been getting alot of nice fish every year up there.

We should swap fish recipes, I've love to see how other people fix their fish.

-DallanC
DallanC

by k2muskie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:19 am

With all the overtime you're putting in I can imagine once you get done it will be great to get back into a routine. I'm about to get in a month or so mandated vacations without pay and I plan of making the most of it enjoying.

We've had Koke liked it. Now as for Trout its mighty tastee smoked for sure. If we chased Trout I'd have to invest in a smoker.
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

by DallanC » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:27 am

DallanC

Return to Fishing Reports