[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
UtahSportsmen.com • View topic - Questions Posed to DWR

Questions Posed to DWR

General Fishing Discussion, Questions about Fishing, Gear, Baits, Tips, Techniques

Questions Posed to DWR

by k2muskie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:59 pm

I've recently been in contact with Mr. Drew Cushing on a few fish related topics. To summarize my e-mails to him I asked about the future of the Utah Tiger Musky Program; Capturing and transporting to Pineview some Tiger Muskies from Newton Reservoir due to very low water conditions at Newton; A quality Perch Program; Potential for a Saugeye program (Hybrid between a female Walleye and male Sauger).

I asked his permission to share this information and he indicated that would be fine. Here are his replies to my questions and I sincerely thank him for his very quick responses and for taking time to answer my questions.

Cut and pasting Mr. Cushing replies:

"The tiger musky program is a priority for the UDWR. What happened at the Lee Kay Center is awful but we are moving forward. We have fence on order and a cover for the ponds as well. The directors office has agreed to increase the budge (sic) at the Lee Kay Center which will help the program move forward.

I believe we do have some true musky fingerlings identified for potential importation this fall. If these fish work out they would be mature in 3 years from this year. We also are attempting to purchase some tiger musky for our management waters for the next three years. Nebraska and South Dakota have a fairly stable supply so we will just hope for that to continue for the next three years.

Moving fish from Newton to Pineview is not legal according to our fish health rules otherwise that would be a great idea. By the way we are most likely moving towards an emergency regulation at Newton to allow harvest of one fish over 40 inches and a doubling of the limit on bluegill, channel catfish, crappie and largemouth bass.

As far as perch management waters are concerned. We have just finished writing a Yuba management plan that includes stocking yellow perch as needed. This portion of the management plan would provide a high quality perch fishery down the road.

We have discussed saugeye as a sportfish in Utah. We actually have a couple of waters that we have identified as good candidates. Pineview Reservoir, Lost Creek Reservoir and I believe Millsite reservoir are the three potentials. Right now we lack a consistent source of saugeye but we are working on that. Keep your fingers crossed.
Drew"
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

Re: Questions Posed to DWR

by DallanC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Interesting info. I've thought about emailing Drew from time to time, and wondered if it would be worth my time, and if I would get a response. This certainly looks promising he takes the time to answer questions. Kudo's on following up on the issue!

-DallanC
DallanC

by k2muskie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:54 am

We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

by k2muskie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:04 am

Mr Cushing made a correction to one of the potential saugeye waters:

"I wanted to correct one of the potential saugeye waters. It was Minersville not Millsite.

Drew Cushing"
k2muskie

by Dunkem » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:05 am

Not being dumb,but what exactly is a sauger :confused:
Dunkem
Dunkem

by bwhntr » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:25 am

bwhntr

by DallanC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:02 am

Sounds like something you fry up with Eggs and Toast.

-DallanC
DallanC

by DallanC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:04 am

Some quick googling shows:

The sauger is a freshwater perciform fish of the family Percidae which resembles its close relative the walleye. They are members of the largest vertebrate order, Perciformes. They are the most migratory percid species in North America.

-DallanC
DallanC

by bwhntr » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:49 am

Interesting... I wonder if they are as delicious as the walleye.
bwhntr

by Dunkem » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Kind of look like flying fish
Dunkem
Dunkem

Return to Fishing Questions, Gear, Tips & Tricks and General Discussion