Ice fishing rods for summer use

General Fishing Discussion, Questions about Fishing, Gear, Baits, Tips, Techniques

Ice fishing rods for summer use

by DallanC » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Went camping with my brother in law not long ago. We did some ATV rides into remote areas and I noticed he packed a tiny ice fishing rod with one of those clear, fillable bubble bobbers. I asked him about it and he said it was fantastic for fishing the tiny streams there. I had a 5 piece pole. We fished a few different places and I gotta say where it was the most brushy along streams, that 16" ice rod worked better than my longer pole! I was forever getting tangled up, but he was able to make stealthy small casts and caught alot more fish. I'm going to pick up a couple this fall just to keep in the truck :)

-DallanC
DallanC

Re: Ice fishing rods for summer use

by k2muskie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Yep I'd say that would work. Including a dear friend took his son up to PV and was using the ice fish'n rod/reed with the little guy and hooked into some bluegil and a nice size carp. Not only fishing in tight areas but for kids one can't go wrong with an ice rod setup. ;) ;)
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

Return to Fishing Questions, Gear, Tips & Tricks and General Discussion