Strawberry Ice Fishing at night?

General Fishing Discussion, Questions about Fishing, Gear, Baits, Tips, Techniques

Strawberry Ice Fishing at night?

by rspeters » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:06 pm

Hey there, so I'm thinking about heading out to Strawberry to do some fishing through the night. Any recommendations, tips? I'm guessing glow in the dark jigs will be the ticket.
rspeters

Re: Strawberry Ice Fishing at night?

by DallanC » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:30 pm

I've never tried night ice fishing anywhere... most all lakes I've fished it has gotten better as the day goes on. I do think glowy things are the ticket but consider some scents as well. I've had good luck with the smelly jelly in the screw top cans (you dunk the lure into it vs the ones in the squirt bottle that seems to get on everything).

-DallanC
DallanC

by rspeters » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks for the info. We went out on Friday night and only caught 3. Honestly it didn't seem like the glow in the dark jigs made a difference. I only caught one, and it was on powerbait...that was a shock as I've had very little success with powerbait while ice fishing...I might have to try it a bit more now I guess. We saw fish off and on all night, but just couldn't get many to bite.
rspeters

by DallanC » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Did you try other scents? The powerbait makes me think they are keying off of the scent in the water. I used to be a huge powerbait fan, but I hate how hard that stuff gets in cold water. I've completely switched over to Zekes Gold series of baits... just don't get'em too warm in the summer otherwise their consistency changes and it turns to a gooey runny mess.

-DallanC
DallanC

by rspeters » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:58 pm

The friend I was fishing with did try another scent he had. I only used powerbait, waxworms and nightcrawlers. Yeah, you're right about it getting hard....it was really hard in that cold water. I was surprised the fish I did catch took it.
rspeters

Return to Fishing Questions, Gear, Tips & Tricks and General Discussion