My Thoughts on Willard Inlet and Snagging

General Fishing Discussion, Questions about Fishing, Gear, Baits, Tips, Techniques

My Thoughts on Willard Inlet and Snagging

by k2muskie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm sure most of you have seen the recent threads on other forums about the opening up of Willards south inlet to fishing. This area is known especially this time of year for one of the many places that Walleye spawn. Like you, I've read these other forums threads and also the DWR comments on why this area was opened to fishing primarily I believe for the harvesting of Walleye. If the DWR biologists per Mr Cushing comments believe the Walleye harvest was low at Willard per research then why not increase the harvest limit from 6 to say 10 or even 12? This is my question that I hope to get answered when I send an e-mail to Mr Penne. Was a harvest limit increase even considered is what I'd like to know.

I know the hot-topic discussion is with what folks call snagging fish. Now have I snagged fish, why yes I have but not intentionally. Anyone who knowingly and intentionally snags a fish to catch the fish is not an ethical angler the way I see it.

So lets discuss snagging. While fishing for TM and the types of lures we use twitch/jerk/dive and rise/walk the dog types of lures these lures by the way and angler works the unique action of the lure will trigger strikes but the fish on occassion will miss the lure and gets hooked around the mouth/head but the lure is not in the mouth...so is that considered snagging? I don't think so the fish missed the lure its obvious to us as TM anglers. The way I see snagging is a fish has the lure hooked on the side, belly or tail we've had that happen numerous times especially with Carp. So I guess my question is how can the DWR officials clarify snagging in the guide book...I see this as being very subjective depending on the officer. :| :|

Anyways my thoughts on the latest hot topic thread per other forums...anyone willing to discuss on this forum
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

Return to Fishing Questions, Gear, Tips & Tricks and General Discussion