Fish Lake 2/15

River and Lake Fishing reports from around the state

Fish Lake 2/15

by Huntoholic » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:19 am

First time in a long time that my wife decided to join me ice fishing. And what a great day! A couple of weeks ago my youngest daughter wanted to go ice fishing to Yuba with me. I was excited that she wanted to go, but worried because we were going after Pike and expected the fishing to be slow. It was. I told her that I would take her to Fish Lake were we could catch a lot of fish. When I told my wife that we were going to Fish Lake, much to my surprise, she send that she would like to go. She never really has liked the ice and when our kids were small, she was always worried about them going through.

Fishing was great and even though I did not get much time to watch my rod, I had a ball. Flat out kept me going the whole day. Did even have time to eat lunch.

The perch were not big, but worth it. Had trout mixed in, with the size all over. Some real nice footballs.

We got there about 8:30am and left at around 4:30pm. Walking out in the morning was not bad, but I could see were slush spots were at. By the end of the day slush was bad. People with 4 wheelers were really having to work them to get off. Where we were fishing, slush was about ankle high. A friend that I met up with had stepped into a hole to his knee. I did take 3/4 of the drill blade to get through though. So be careful.

We had to use what I call a very light set up. 1/32 jig head with no other swivel or weight. The bite was real light. This is were I just love the strike indicator that K2 likes. Those babies rock...

If going to Fish Lake, be extra careful. The ice is a changing...........
Huntoholic

Re: Fish Lake 2/15

by k2muskie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Awesome your wife went with ya. Put her on fish and I'm sure she'll keep going and just having her with you I bet was a very nice experience. Glad the bite indicators are working for you...we don't leave home without them on our rods and always have a few extra to donate out on the ice when folks come up and chat with us. Sounds like a very nice time minus the ice conditions...this is for sure March weather and the heck with what the ole ground hog predicted... :lol: :lol:
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

by DallanC » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Careful, getting spouse involved with this stuff is fun but EXPENSIVE! 2x the cost on all the gear. You want a fancy piece of tech, better plan on getting two as she'll want one for sure. :rofl:

Fish lake is one beautiful area.

-DallanC
DallanC

by Huntoholic » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:29 am

I really lucked out when she said yes. I think she has bought more of our gadgets then I have.

One of the funny parts of the whole trip was a friend was there with a new flasher. He took some time and taught her how to use it. The next thing I know she is hunched over that thing and having a ball. Maybe I need to drop a hint on a new flasher........
Huntoholic

Return to Fishing Reports