[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
UtahSportsmen.com • View topic - 1/4/2014 Currant Creek

1/4/2014 Currant Creek

River and Lake Fishing reports from around the state

1/4/2014 Currant Creek

by Huntoholic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:11 am

Got to CC about 8:30 or so. The road going up to the dam was in really good shape. Wind was a blown out of the north enough that you had to stay wrapped up. The snow fall stayed pretty much around in the mountains. I kept looking to the north and thinking here comes the snow, but it just kept going around.

Fishing was slow. I'm pretty sure that was the slowest fishing I've experienced on CC. The spot we went to was on the west side. We tried depth wise from 12ft to about 25ft. 18ft produced the best action. Most were tigers with a couple of small cuts. Size wise they were all over the place. I think smallest would have been around 8" and the largest 17". Most were a very light bite.

Walk across was not to bad. Solid ice with about 4-6" of wind blown snow on top. I didn't measure the ice thickness but it was about half an auger bit and it was solid all the way through.
Huntoholic

Re: 1/4/2014 Currant Creek

by DallanC » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:18 am

Sheesh, I cant believe its that slow for people... what are you using for bait? I use ratfinky's, custom ones I ordered from the factory. They are twice the size of the ones found in stores around here. Tip with a Wax worm, apply a little smelly jelly (different flavors), then stick the rod in auto-hookers we made up:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=118

I also stick to the east side. Our last trip we were on the north end, so kitty corner to where you were on the west corner. I drop a underwater cam down to see structure and fish. We had to move a few holes because we had drilled right over brush. This last trip fish were deep, the week before they were right under the ice.

-DallanC
DallanC

by Huntoholic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:42 am

I'm not sure what was different from years past. The one thing that I was thinking was it was over cast pretty much the whole day. The one part that the fishing seem to pick up was when the sun got out a little.

We went through a bunch of different set ups to them. The best turned out to be just a jig head with a little power bait. Used paddle bugs tipped with worms and waxes. They are there because we could see them on the finders, but just could not come up with a good combination. I think we would have tried harder but the wind made it tough to take your gloves off for very long. Heck by the time we got across and set up my dang coke was froze. :)

But like most times I have been to CC, the fishing really died about 2pm.
Huntoholic

by Huntoholic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:48 am

Another thing was people were spread out pretty good. I talked to a few and they were not doing much better then we did.
Huntoholic

by DallanC » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:04 pm

DallanC

by Huntoholic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:57 pm

I have another spot on the west side that I will have to give a try too. The only part I hate is the walk to it.
As I've gotten older and more out of share it just about kills me to get there. :)
Huntoholic

by DallanC » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:05 pm

DallanC

by Huntoholic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:03 pm

Was the snow deep enough that you needed the chains or are they more for when you get on the deck? I have done the route with snowmobiles before but never the 4 wheelers.
Huntoholic

by DallanC » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:05 pm

DallanC

Return to Fishing Reports