Skyline Drive 6/30

River and Lake Fishing reports from around the state

Skyline Drive 6/30

by DallanC » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Took the family camping up on the skyline the first part of the week (to avoid the crowds I knew would be there the 2nd half of the week). Come monday we had the entire lake and campgrounds to ourselves! Not a soul around. Fishing was slower than normal, but between the 3 of us we caught around 70 rainbows. It was hot... way too hot and unbelievable amounts of annoying deerflys. I've grown up camping at that lake and never seen it so bad for flys.

When it got too hot to fish we went for a drive along the north skyline and found a place to pull off and target shoot. I was initially concerned with fires before going up but once we got up there, instead of brown tinder everything was lush and green. Seemed odd as I dont think they've had much rain up there. My 12 year old boy got his fill of shooting his new 7mm08, then went on a spree with his .22 terrorizing the potgut ground squirrels. He managed to hit a few but for the most part it was good practice quickly shouldering and trying to get a shot off as they would pop up then just as quickly diappear.

Right at dusk I went out in my pontoon and floated a small piece of worm behind a water filled bubble, doing a slow troll. I could only get in a few pulls on the oars before I had a hookup. Lots of fun CnR'ing the voracious trout.

Got a few pictures I'll post later.

-DallanC
DallanC

Re: Skyline Drive 6/30

by k2muskie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Now for sure that sounds like a fun get-away...dang insects though...glad you were able to share vast amount of quality time with the family and leave the work, I know FINALLY behind. Sure hope once your company is done with the project that has been going on you'll have loads of fishing, shooting and hunting FUNTASTIC times...good on ya DallanC...
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

Return to Fishing Reports