Jig or dead stick?

Discussion on Ice Fishing

Jig or dead stick?

by DallanC » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:04 pm

When we go out, we usually setup most poles dead-stick, and jig a couple others. Friday i set up the underwater camera and watched trout reactions to my jigs real-time. Hands down even minor movement scared them away. Leaving the lure still got bumps and nibbles... twitch it, and the fish would take off. Kindof backs up what I've seen in our success rates on the dead-stick poles, they got alot more action.

I don't think this is true for all fish, I've heard panfish and perch prefer movement, and I know trout like movement in the summer (I've caught too many as my bait is still settling in the water column after a cast).

Still, for ice fishing I think deadstick is best for trout. Thoughts?

-DallanC
DallanC

Re: Jig or dead stick?

by Huntoholic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:00 am

I'm not sure there is a best. I think sometimes dead stick works better, while other times a little action is required. Saturday we did it all I think. I for the most part was dead sticking, but a hand full of bites came as I was letting it down. My brother and nephew were using finders and were using different jigging techniques. In the long run we all did about the same catch and strike wise.

I do like your gadget though in the other thread. Pretty cool.....
Huntoholic

by k2muskie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 am

For us and what we fish for pan fish Perch and Crappie jigging is producing for us. Occasionally I'll dead stick to see and the jigging rod out fishes the dead sticking rod hands down. We've been out on the ice 4 times thus far and its jigging folks have come up to us as they see we're catching fish and their not and I show them the lure Atomic Ant and bait and ask what their doing dead sticking or jigging. All have said dead sticking. I then tell them you have to jig ever so slightly pause and jig. When they leave they come by and thank us for the tips as they started catching fish well Perch and Crappie anyways.

But I will agree ya never know it could be dead sticking or jigging...but having a flasher also helps with a bite indicator as when fishing for pan fish the bite is so light if you don't have rod in hand you'll never see the hit. As we don't target Trout I hear when they hit you know it unlike Crappie or Perch that are primarily very soft biters.
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

by DallanC » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Guess this is one reason why I love being able to fish 2 poles. Hold one, dead-stick the other. Best of both worlds. :D

-DallanC
DallanC

by Jackalope » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:15 am

I've always done better with the jigging rod then the deadstick. If i watch the finder, and see a fish coming up to the jig i slow my jigging down to a wiggle, and get some pretty good hits.
Jackalope

by rspeters » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:04 am

I was out on Strawberry on Saturday and of the 12 fish caught in my group, 11 of them were caught jigging. My fastest action was when I decided to try jigging heavily with a big jig.
rspeters

Return to Ice Fishing