Grumble grumble gripe gripe

Discussions that don't fit in other topics

Grumble grumble gripe gripe

by Bax* » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:04 pm

I am really losing my desire to hunt and fish any more. Seems like the amount of time it takes to get anywhere worth a darn is increasing every year, and this means fuel consumption is increasing too.

Chaser asked me the other day what hunts I was planning on, and I think I listed two maybe three hunts that I was likely to participate in. What the heck!? I used to be so excited for what ever hunt was coming up next, but now I just think about how much time I have to take off work to get anywhere.

Then today some buddies at work were talking about going to the Berry and invited me along. All I could think about was how long it would take me to get there and back and if I would have time to get anything done around the house.... gosh I am getting old

Anyone else feeling the same?
Bax*

Re: Grumble grumble gripe gripe

by Martymcfly73 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:09 pm

No dude! What the hell is wrong with you?! Snap out of it man!!
Martymcfly73

by Bax* » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:11 pm

And dont get me started on my guns that I dont want to shoot Marty....

I cant find any ammo or reloading supplies, so I just sit and look at my expensive paper weights :lame:
Bax*

by DallanC » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:10 am

Interests change over the years for sure. I've yet to loose the desire to shoot and fish, its more finding the time an a place to actually do so. Hunting, I'm getting there... the draw process, wait times on tags and overall headaches are a turn off. My boy though who is 12 will be hunting Deer for the first time this year and Doe Antelope. I'm excited for that, more than my own hunts.

Just make sure you replace any waning interests with something else... otherwise you stagnate and start to wonder what good is anything anymore. Seen a few old guys get this way in life as I grew up and watched them become truely miserable.

Hunting in Utah is diminishing... but the fishing is getting really good and getting better. I look over pictures of my dad and family from the 70's and compare the "catch" with what we get today, its worlds better now. Many more species, and MUCH larger fish. I'm embarrased to look at some of those pictures from Ferron Res with +50 12-13" fish on a rope. Didnt think anything about it at the time, its the way it was... but man, 4 big fish out of strawberry blows away anything from that era.

Keep at it, find something new to peak your interest... or maybe find someone to mentor and pass along all your knowledge.

-DallanC
DallanC

by k2muskie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Bax* just get out and enjoy. Hey try fishing for Tiger Muskies than YOU TOO can become addicted...it hunting and fishing all at the same time. But bottom line just DO-IT and enjoy. Yea things are more expensive but if possible don't let that discourage you from enjoying some relaxation it what I say...Life is short...way to SHORT...get out and be all you can be and live the good life... ;) ;)
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

by Dunkem » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Bax,I think I know what you are feeling.We talked about going down to pros and shooting some pot guts,well I got back from San Diego and just have not mustard up the energy (and I keep getting called to work,which I retired from a year ago?}The lawn needs cutting the garden needs weeding,the old lady has a chore list written on a roll of toilet paper :!: But I did buy a combo license this year and I am going to go duck hunting which I have not done for 20 years.It will be like a new thing for me, and Im quite excited about it.Gave my rifle to my grandson 2 years ago,and have given the big game hunts up.To much hassle for me.Also do some metal detecting which is kind of neat and fun.Your to young to let it get to you.{Besides if you get out you will be away from that damn cat :D
Dunkem
Dunkem

by Huntoholic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:05 pm

Exactly the way I've been feeling. Just to much hassle every step of the way.

But one thing that has helped me is my wife's friend invited us to go camping with her and her friends. It has turned out to bring the enjoyment back to camping. Did I mention that the youngest is in thier 70's and the older ones are in thier 80's. They go once a month during the summer to different area's. They leave in the middle of the week. The only bad part is they are retired and I am not. They ride thier ATV's, fish and seek adventure without being crazy.

I cannot tell you why, but to spend 3 or 4 days with these people recharges my battery.

So go find some old people to go camping with.
Huntoholic

Return to General Chat