[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
UtahSportsmen.com • View topic - Snake bite kits?

Snake bite kits?

Discussions that don't fit in other topics

Snake bite kits?

by DallanC » Thu May 02, 2013 3:09 pm

How many of you believe in, or carry a snake bite kit? I've never been bitten but I've run into a TON of rattlers over the years. With the weather warming up they are becomnig more and more active. I just read a article on the internet about a guy who saved his leg with one... but some googling on kits shows medical people say they do more harm than good? Obviously keeping heart rate down and getting to a hospital is paramount, but is it a good idea to pack a kit and use it?

Just curious what you all think.

-DallanC
DallanC

Re: Snake bite kits?

by Dunkem » Thu May 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Years ago I had a brother in law get bit by a rattler,we gave him a big shot of whiskey to calm him,and drove 30 miles to the fillmore hospital where they had antivenum there, he was ok in 4 hours except where the bite was and that took quite a while to heal.They told us never put a turniquit(sp) on,and never try to cut and suck.Keeping calm and cold compress or ice was the best?There are stories of guys that have been bitten and thought it was a branch slapping their leg only to find out later when they got sick that they had been bitten,but did not now it so stayed calm,and in all likely hood would have survived with out doctors care.But those are stories. I think some kind of a kit should be with you,and after coming close to getting bit a while back down south Im going to check it out more :mrgreen:
Dunkem
Dunkem

by DallanC » Thu May 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Probably smarter to get some snake chaps anyway... 'course most of the time I see rattlers I'm not really expecting it nor tromping around in the woods. Usually see them out going for a casual motorcycle ride in the hills.

-DallanC
DallanC

by Dunkem » Thu May 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Chaps are a great idea,have not thought about them.
Dunkem
Dunkem

by Bax* » Sat May 04, 2013 8:52 am

I carry a snake bite kit because I hike in Southern Utah a ton and have run across several rattlers over the years that I darned near stepped on or grabbed when pulling myself up a ledge.

My personal opinion is that you need a higher quality kit with a suction tube in it to help draw the venom out as well as an option to create a tourniquet if necessary . I carry one of these in conjunction with the cheap little yellow ones you find at most outdoor departments:

However, I also believe that it is wise to take a quick refresher on how to handle a snake bite before it happens as well. Because I know that I wont be reading very well when I am trying to address a snake bite. So this way I have it in my head before it happens.

Just my $0.02
Bax*

Return to General Chat