Proud dad, boy wants to be a frontstuffer!

Questions and Discussion about Muzzleloading Firearms and Components

Proud dad, boy wants to be a frontstuffer!

by DallanC » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:16 am

My boy turned 12 and gets to put in for his first deer tag in January, I told him to start thinking about what he wants to hunt with. He didnt even hesitate and excitedly said MUZZLELOADER! I laughed and then he said "But we'll have to get another one incase dad draws a tag too". I informed him we have two muzzleloaders and he can indeed use one of them if he chooses.

He's never fired one before, the one I'd let him use is my old Hawkin. It's been through hell and back enough that it looks really rough. In fact I kindof just clean off the mud and just spray it down with another coat of polyurathane which hides scratches and worn spots. It shoot really really good though, killed tons of deer with it. It has enough of a cool unique look to it to get him started in this sport.

Still... its going to be amusing to see him launch a 350grn slug down range for the first time :D

-DallanC
DallanC

Re: Proud dad, boy wants to be a frontstuffer!

by NHS » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:07 am

Speaking of launching heavy lead down range...a few years ago my 14 year old cousin was hunting on his first muzzle loader hunt. Opening morning came and we found him a small buck to shoot at. The young buck stood there at 55 yards. After coaxing him for what seemed liked 10 minutes, he finally pulled the trigger. He didn't even come close to hitting that deer. Later in the afternoon, we drove down to a local range to have him shoot the thing to see where it was hitting. We set up a big piece of butcher paper with a dot to aim at about 50 yards out from the bench. We watched as he loaded his muzzle loader and took careful aim. BOOM!!!!!

The recoil turned the poor kid inside out. He about dropped the gun. His eyes were watering, on the verge of tears. We couldn't figure out why in the world that thing kicked so hard. Then we went and looked at the target. There were TWO .54 caliber holes in the bottom of the paper. What we didn't know is that he loaded his gun after he shot at the buck that morning. He forgot that he had loaded it and stuffed a second load down the tube at the range. He got very lucky! Lesson learned.
NHS

Re: Proud dad, boy wants to be a frontstuffer!

by DallanC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Yikes, glad he was ok! I read a story once from Africa where a guide loaded an old black powder gun with a double charge. It recoiled so violently it shattered the stock and knocked the hunter out.

Smokepoles are alot of fun, I've been deer hunting with them since around '85.

-DallanC
DallanC

Return to Muzzleloaders