How Does One Forget

Questions and Discussion on Firearms, Sights, Shooting etc

How Does One Forget

by k2muskie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Hmmmm heard this driving in to work and read it on KSL. Really...now REALLY how does one REALLY say at the airport I forgot about the gun in my carry-on????? For you gun owners what's your take on this??? I think its a :lame: unbeliveable excuse...but that is just how I see it.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=263957 ... h-firearms
We never get skunked...its the fish that get skunked they just keep missing our lures....
k2muskie

Re: How Does One Forget

by bwhntr » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:10 am

Very lame excuse. When I fly I am looking at my cologne bottles that may have too much fluid. How could I ever forget about packing my gun?
bwhntr

by Huntoholic » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:29 am

I use to travel a lot, and I can see how it can happen (Not that I have with a firearm). But I have with tools.

The biggest blunder was not very long after 9/11. I was doing a startup in Arizonia. Flying in/out every week and had been for months. Had been up since 5am and we had a late evning flight. I was hurrying trying to get things finished up on a project that was struggling to say the least ( a lot of pressure). Had to get items signoff with the customer as well as to get things shutdown for the long Labor day weekend. Had my tools in my pockets and when we left the job site I put them in my computer bag, thinking that when I got back to the hotel I would put them into my tool bag which gets checked in. One of the guys check with the airport and found out that there were delay issues and we needed to get to the airport ASAP or we may find our expected long weekend could be very short. We grabbed our stuff and off to the airport. Well you could see the suprise on my face when the TSA agent was searching my bag and came out with needle nose pliers. Told her to keep looking cause there was 2 screw drivers and side cutters in there also. She informed me that I could not take them on the plane and I said I understood. Explained to her what happen and she told me I could go back and check them in. I looked at the very very long line and told her to keep them.

People make mistakes. People are going to make mistakes. Take the person into a room. Verify all the important stuff, give them a stiff fine, and keep their gun. They will not forget again.
Huntoholic

by DallanC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:40 pm

I don't have so many guns that I *ever* misplace them. Forgetting you have one in a bag being checked is unbelievable to me. My personal "carry" pistol fits in my front jeans pocket... I remove it and leave it home if I'm ever going somewhere I cannot take it.

*edit: long before 9/11 I once forgot I had a pocket of .22LR shells when entering the airport. I remembered them just as I stepped through the metal detector... luckily nothing was set off so I casually wandered over to the nearest trash can and dropped'em in.

-DallanC
DallanC

by Huntoholic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:43 am

I think part of the problem comes from those that carry but not on their person. It's in a backpack, hand bag, bumbag and such. Out of sight out of mind.

I've seen the same kind of issues with those that work around hazardous chemicals. They do it day in and day out. They forget that what they are dealing with could kill some one.
Huntoholic

Return to Firearms