12 year old fires the .270 for the first time

Questions and Discussion on Firearms, Sights, Shooting etc

12 year old fires the .270 for the first time

by DallanC » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:25 pm

My boy has a cow elk tag for a Dec 15th-30th hunt. Had him shooting all summer with progressively larger calibers. He got proficient with the .22-250, and found the .243 lots of fun as well. I was worried he'd think the .270 was too much and develop a flinch but this weekend I took him out and he did great! Had that paper target been an elk, it'd dead, He thought it was fun to shoot and wants to shoot more. We'll get out for another session before the hunt starts but as is, I think he is good enough for a .250 yard shot.

Hopefully the weather and elk will co-operate.

-DallanC
DallanC

Re: 12 year old fires the .270 for the first time

by NHS » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:09 am

What area is your boy's tag good for?
NHS

Re: 12 year old fires the .270 for the first time

by DallanC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:39 pm

NHS wrote:What area is your boy's tag good for?

Avintaquin. Started today, runs through the 31st. We went up today and it was truely a miserable experience. Enough snow the quads were getting stuck often, a CRAZY number of people there and not an elk to be found. Rumors of people saying they saw one here or there... I saw some tracks that looked hours old heading off into the thick and deep. Saw a couple deer. 5 hours of all that in freezing blizzard conditions and my boy was done.

If we go back up, and the snow remains the same or deeper, we'll go up in on snowmobiles. Let the crowds get their "opening morning" fill and give up. I'm off work from Dec 21 through Jan2 so we can sneak in some trips during that time... if there is a snowballs chance to stumble across one anyway. I've got tips from some one that sees them regularly in another spot, but thats an additional 1.5 hour drive to get there... and be in position at daybreak. Might get a motel room in price I guess... dunno. Buying the tag was more of a impulse buy when I saw they had some available. I knew going into this it was going to be a super low chance of success.

-DallanC
DallanC

Return to Firearms