Avintaquin Cow elk

Questions, Stories, Pictures and Results for hunting Big Game

Avintaquin Cow elk

by DallanC » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Anyone familiar with the avintaquin unit? My boys birthday is in Nov so he turns 12 too late this year to hunt deer. I bought a leftover cow elk tag for the Dec 12-31 time frame. I realize the simple fact there are left over tags indicates its not a desireable hunt. I also know is going to be completely weather dependant. No snow like last year, the elk stay high and remote. Snow like 2 years ago the elk are all driven down onto private property.

I've never stepped foot on the unit so I have questions about access, areas that hold elk. We have mountain snowmobiles for deep now, atvs if a milder year. I hope to get out there at least once or twice before the snow flys to look it over.

-DallanC
DallanC

Re: Avintaquin Cow elk

by stevo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:00 pm

I bought one of the Muzzy cow tags for that unit and Im just like you, going in dry. I know one side of it borders wasatch, and another side of it borders nine mile anthro/rangecreek. Ive shot many elk on both thos units. Im thinking its has alot to do with when the snow flies but I have no idea. My hunt starts the begining of Nov. Hope you guys can find something
stevo

by Martymcfly73 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:54 pm

Steep and deep! Big nasty canyons. Horrible roads if they're wet. Have chains just in case.
Martymcfly73

by DallanC » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:45 pm

How do people access it in the winter? Drive in to Duchesne then back in from there, or go down towards scofield then up into it?

-DallanC
DallanC

by Martymcfly73 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:19 pm

I've always accessed from scofield. The Emma Park rd. Never been in from duchense.
Martymcfly73

by DallanC » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Martymcfly73 wrote:I've always accessed from scofield. The Emma Park rd. Never been in from duchense.

I will grab the family and take a ride over the top before the roads get bad just to get a feel for it. Come hunting season if its muddy we'll be on ATVs. If its frozen / snowed in we'll go in on snowmobiles. All comes down to the weather. I just dont know if animals winter on the unit or move off onto private ground by that time of year.

-DallanC
DallanC

by DallanC » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Have a plan of attack, going to take a nice drive through it tomorrow. I was really surprised looking at the maps how much indian land there is. I need color shaded areas as its really hard to follow some of the lines in places.

-DallanC
DallanC

by hazmat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:53 pm

i know i am late to this post. but how did this hunt turn out. i recently bought some property near this unit and am looking forward to exploring it.
hazmat
Lurker
Lurker

by DallanC » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:36 pm

hazmat wrote:i know i am late to this post. but how did this hunt turn out. i recently bought some property near this unit and am looking forward to exploring it.

12 billion people and the elk run off into the most inaccessable country imaginable. The sheer number of tags handed out is insane, and they actually added additional OTC tags after the draw, before the hunt started!

That said, on the 2nd to the last day of my boys hunt I got him within 250 yards of feeding cows right at first light. It was around minus 20 degrees. Unfortunately he shot just a tad low and missed. I doubt we'll do that hunt again... amazing country but the success rate is just soooo low its just not worth spending money on a tag for (IMO). The DWR is recommending raising the # of permits even higher this fall... which means even more people and the elk will just stay in the remote areas all the time.

-DallanC
DallanC

by hazmat » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:27 pm

DallanC wrote:
hazmat wrote:i know i am late to this post. but how did this hunt turn out. i recently bought some property near this unit and am looking forward to exploring it.

12 billion people and the elk run off into the most inaccessable country imaginable. The sheer number of tags handed out is insane, and they actually added additional OTC tags after the draw, before the hunt started!

That said, on the 2nd to the last day of my boys hunt I got him within 250 yards of feeding cows right at first light. It was around minus 20 degrees. Unfortunately he shot just a tad low and missed. I doubt we'll do that hunt again... amazing country but the success rate is just soooo low its just not worth spending money on a tag for (IMO). The DWR is recommending raising the # of permits even higher this fall... which means even more people and the elk will just stay in the remote areas all the time.

-DallanC

sounds like you guys had a good time anyway. it is some good looking deep canyon country.
hazmat
Lurker
Lurker

Next

Return to Big Game